Windsor Workers’ Education Centre: JOB POSTING FOR VOLUNTEER AND OUTREACH COORDINATOR
August 27, 2013|Posted in: Uncategorised
Job Description – Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator
Windsor Workers’ Education Centre
The Windsor Workers’ Education Centre (WWEC) is an incorporated charity and a community organization of workers, students and activists committed to improving the lives and working conditions of people in non-union low-wage and unstable employment. Our goal is to ensure that all workers are able to exercise their rights and are treated with dignity and fairness. WWEC carries out these goals through educational and organizational supports aimed at building workers’ capacities to understand and contest illegal, unfair, unequal and substandard working conditions. To better carry out these activities WWEC is seeking a volunteer and outreach coordinator.
Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator
One year contract. Potentially renewable annually to a maximum of three years, depending on performance and continued funding.
To recruit and supervise volunteers for WWEC’s four main areas of activity: 1) Recruitment, communications and outreach; 2) phone and drop in service; 3) workshops and education media and; 4) cultural programming. The coordinator will also be responsible for organizing and coordinating volunteer training, including the recruitment and scheduling of volunteer training (e.g. labour lawyers, university professors, community experts).
Recruitment and Outreach:
- Ability to recruit, interview, and assign volunteers to various work groups, campaigns and committees.
- Ability to identify, approach, and maintain liaison with key institutional sources of volunteers.
- Assist in developing an annual communications and outreach strategy aimed at informing the community about WWEC services.
- Ability to work with the WWEC President and Board to develop implement and monitor an annual volunteer recruitment and sustainability plan with specific recruitment and placement goals.
- Assist with the coordination of work groups and committees as requested.
Management and Reporting:
- Schedule, supervise, and evaluate volunteer activities.
- Follow up with potential volunteers in a timely manner.
- Monitor and report to the WWEC President and Board on volunteer recruitment and program progress.
- Train volunteers to deliver new (and existing) WWEC programs.
- Schedule and plan WWEC educational events and programming.
- Maintain and manage office records.
- Reports to President and Board of Directors.
Skills, Knowledge, and Education Requirements:
- Strong commitment to social justice issues and worker advocacy.
- Knowledge and experience in volunteer recruitment and coordination.
- Ability to connect with others and forge strong relationships.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Knowledge of communication and media strategies.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
- Excellent speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidential information and records.
- Driver’s license (independent travel off bus lines and into Essex County will be required on occasion).
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum two years experience in successful community outreach/recruitment and volunteer coordination
- Knowledge of Ontario Employment Standards Act and related Ontario employment law
- Familiarity with local community organizations.
- Training/and or presentation experience.
- Ability to collect and summarize basic program evaluation data.
Essential Functions/Working Conditions:
- Light physical demands.
- Must be able to work under stress of meeting deadlines and changing priorities.
- Able to use computer and technology.
- Familiarity with MAC OS X lion.
40 hours per week at $20.00 per hour, plus benefits.
Please send a cover letter and resume to: WWEC, P.O. Box 1023 Station A, 401 Ouellette Ave., Windsor, Ontario, N9A 6P4 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “Community Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: SEPTEMBER 15, 2013
WWEC Anti-Discrimination Statement:
WWEC shall not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place or origin, creed, range of abilities, family status, marital status (including single status), gender identity, gender expression, receipt of public assistance, record of offences, sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding), and sexual orientation in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and termination of staff and the selection of volunteers.
Board president WWEC, member at large Social Justice Windsor District Labour Council, host of campus community radio program The ShakeUp on CJAM 99.1FM